Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Wow, sometimes I just don't know what to say..

So, the subject came up with a friend about my specific sexuality/proclivity; she did a little Sherlock Holmesing on my myspace page and conected the dots to a past girlfriend's page via her comments on my page.

She was really very supportive and well-meaning in her discussion of the whole issue. However, the whole situation made me wonder about two things.

First, why is it that so many of us (myself included) feel the need to display our lives for the world to see on sites like facebook, myspace, frindster, or livejournel? I was thinking about it, and I have no idea why I even have a myspace account.

Secondly, while my friend was really well intentioned, she was also kinda hung-up on the trans issue. To her it seemed like my sexuality boiled down to the mechanics of genitalia. Which, in one sense I guess it does. But, on the other hand it is such an over simplification.

Now I'm not, nor do I claim to be at all, well versed in concepts of human sexuality or gender studies. But, Straight-n-narrow heterosexual people don't have there sexuality truncated into the basics of whether their partner has an "inie" or and "outie." So why should mine?

D.

1 comment:

Twiggydyke said...

Well I tend to stay on facebook simply to stay in contact with people, keep them vaguely updated on what I'm upto. It's good for networking, seeing which friends know your other friends and such like.

I think monosexuals (those who have never had a bisexual moment or leaning in their lives) can find the idea of being attracted to a person, no matter what they are packin' or lackin' difficult.